Immune Boosting Ideas
Happy New Year to everyone!
Winter is in full swing and so is the flu season, which has had a particularly early start this year. With the holidays behind us, it’s time to focus on taking care of yourself and your family in an effort to prevent or at least mitigate the effects of the flu. Some of the ways that you can boost your immune system and general health are through diet. Here are a few suggestions to incorporate into your day:
- Drink plenty of fluids but especially water. The inside air is drier at this time of year so it’s particularly important to stay hydrated. Warm fluids may be more appealing during the winter so try warm water and add a squeeze of lemon for flavor, if desired. Another option is green tea which is a terrific antioxidant. Avoid sweetened beverages and fruit juice concentrates that suppress your immune system.
- Avoid simple sugars as much as possible! In addition to cookies and cakes, these items include white flour and refined grains which quickly convert to sugar.
- Include protein with each meal. Proteins are the building blocks of the body and necessary to maintain a strong immune and detoxification system.
- Add antimicrobial herbs, spices and vegetables to your meals. Garlic, onions, ginger, oregano, and turmeric among others are supportive of a strong immune and detox system.
- Eat lots of fresh, colorful vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables are especially supportive of the detoxification system while also supplying lots of vitamins and phytonutrients.
- Maintain your gut health. Include probiotics in your diet through kefir, fermented vegetables, or a high quality supplement.
- Remember to get plenty of sleep and regular exercise!